HSRI 2016 Renewals
HealthSource Announces “Passive” Renewals for 2016
On September 22, 2015, representatives of HealthSource RI (HSRI) presented the following slides to the Health Coverage Project’s forum for community helpers.
The presentation announces changes for the upcoming open enrollment season, including new rules for “passive” renewal.
The presentation is available here – HSRI Renewals Presentation Sep 2015
Some key takeaways:
- Open Enrollment for 2016 coverage is from Nov. 1, 2015 through January 31, 2016.
- HSRI will use “passive renewal” system (NEW THIS YEAR)
- Many consumers will be renewed into 2016 coverage even if they do nothing during open enrollment (other than paying their January premium);
- Even consumers “passively” renewed will have to pay their January premium before coverage is effective;
- Some consumers cannot be renewed passively, including:
- Those who appear eligible for Medicaid;
- Those who received advanced premium tax credits (APTCs) in 2014 and have not filed their 2014 tax returns;
- Those who did not consent to sharing of IRS data with HSRI.
- Many notices and mailings will go out
- Early October – “Watch the Mail” postcard
- Mid- to late-October – Renewal Packet
- HSRI also mentioned that online change reporting for 2015 coverage will be suspended as of early October. Consumers who need to make changes affecting 2015 coverage during the open enrollment period will only be able to do so through the call center.
For more information, see the presentation.